bond

Gold rises as markets await US tariffs; Heathrow airport was warned about power supply in days before closure – business live


European stock sell-off gathers pace as pharma shares slide

The sell-off in European stock markets has gathered pace, and pharmaceutical stocks are among the biggest fallers ahead of Donald Trump’s tariff announcement later today.

The Stoxx 600 healthcare index fell as much as 2.5% to its lowest level since December.

Analysts said US tariffs this time round could focus on the pharmaceutical sector.

Germany’s Bayer and France’s Sanofi dropped by 4.7% and 3.3% respectively. In the UK, AstraZeneca fell by 2.4% and GSK lost 3.3%.

The FTSE 100 index in London has lost 48 points, or 0.55%, to 8,587. Germany’s Dax is trading 1% lower while France’s CAC has lost 0.35% and Italy’s FTSE MiB is 0.77% down.

Gold has risen by around 0.5% is hovering near the record high hit yesterday.

Susannah Streeter, head of money and markets at Hargreaves Lansdown, said:

It’s not surprising that pharma stocks have been caught up in this wave of nervousness.

Investors are on tenterhooks as the clock ticks down what’s expected to be the biggest wave of tariffs on US trading partners. It’s been dubbed Liberation day by president Trump, but it’s more like entrapment day, with more countries set to be tangled up in a web of fresh duties.

The internationally focused FTSE 100 is on the back foot in early trade as concerns swirl about the effect on growth prospects for economies around the world. Wall Street made some tentative moves of recovery after the week’s early losses, a trend likely to continue later. But a pattern of one step forward, two steps back has been emerging as hopes for more leniency in trade policy keep being dashed, and the Trump administration seems intent on playing hardball.

Share

Updated at 

Key events

Here’s our full story on Heathrow airport, following executives’ appearance before MPs.

Airlines warned Heathrow about risks to its power supply days before the airport was shut down by a substation fire, a Commons committee was told.

The Heathrow chief executive, Thomas Woldbye, apologised for the disruption, which affected more than 200,000 passengers on Friday 21 March, but defended the decision to close as he said staying open was potentially “disastrous”.

Speaking to MPs on the Commons transport select committee, Woldbye said that such a power outage had been seen as a “very low probability event” and the airport had paid for a “supposedly resilient” supply.

However, Nigel Wicking, the chief executive of Heathrow Airline Operators’ Committee, representing airlines, said that incidents including cable theft had made him concerned and he had spoken to senior airport officials.



READ SOURCE

This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you accept our use of cookies.