Tories claim No 10 admission UK won’t avoid new US tariffs shows Starmer has failed to protect British business
The Conservatives have criticised the government for failing to avert the threat of President Trump including the UK in his next round of tariffs.
Responding to Downing Street saying this morning that it did not expect the UK to be exempt from the tariffs due to be announced on Wednesday (see 1.01pm), Andrew Griffith, the shadow business secretary, said:
This news is potentially a hammer blow not just to British businesses and workers but to his own chancellor whose creative accounting at the emergency budget fails to include the impact of tariffs
Labour claims talks with the US are going “well”. But, if this is what well looks like, I wouldn’t like to see what the opposite looks like. The prime minister has so far failed to come up with the goods, he needs to rekindle our US trade deal.
This is just further proof that, when Labour negotiates, Britain loses.
Key events
-
Afternoon summary
-
Minister backs Birmingham city council in declaring major incident over bin strike
-
Sentencing Council expected to suspend plans for new guidelines
-
Yvette Cooper tells MPs youth mobility scheme with EU ‘not our plan’
-
Tories claim No 10 admission UK won’t avoid new US tariffs shows Starmer has failed to protect British business
-
Police will review case that led to parents being arrested for complaining about daughter’s school, MPs told
-
UK ‘back in the game’ given leadership Starmer showing on Ukraine, says Finnish president
-
Government should have ‘pushed back’ against ‘two-tier justice’ claims, says Labour peer Shami Chakrabarti
-
Starmer welcomes plan for Adolescence to be screened free in schools, saying it prompts debate about radicalisation
-
No 10 says it expects UK will be affected by new Trump tariffs coming on Wednesday
-
No 10 declines to rule out abolishing Sentencing Council – but not as part of emergency bill on alleged ‘two-tier justice’ rules
-
Green party accuses Starmer of dancing ‘to Farage’s tune’, as it renews call for more safe routes for asylum seekers
-
Former Irish PM Leo Varadkar calls for Theresa May’s ‘backstop’ Brexit deal to be revived to mitigate impact of Trump tariffs
-
81% of voters think government handling cost of living badly, poll suggests
-
Ed Davey claims Lib Dems can replace Tories as party of Middle England
-
Home Office ‘very open-minded’ about whether offshore ‘return hubs’ might be good idea, minister says
-
Starmer claims he was ‘shocked’ by lack of coordination between police, Border Force and intelligence agencies
-
Enforced returns up 21% since general election, No 10 says, due to more staff being allocated for this
-
Starmer says 24,000 migrants have been removed from UK since Labour took office
-
Starmer speaks at opening of Organised Immigration Crime summit
-
Keir Starmer says Britons ‘right’ to be ‘angry about illegal migration’ ahead of summit on immigration crime